Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Day at the Beach

 
 
 
On this beautiful Sunday in July, take the time to run away to the beach. Forget your troubles  and play like a child, full of carefree wonder and laughter.
 
I remember a few years ago I heard a story about an older woman I knew who had been diagnosed with some serious health problems.  She had always been a lady that loved to laugh, yet like all of us she had  lived a life of ups and downs. She was in her seventies and  I admired her because she was so creative and energetic. 
 
One day when her daughter was visiting, they went to one of her favourite brooks from her childhood. She removed her shoes and walked into the water, like she had so often done when she was a little girl out to take in as much fun as possible.   I am sure that her heart filled up with joy that day and  her old body no longer felt the pain and worry of the disease that was slowly taking her energy and time on this earth.

She passed away several months later but she left me a  valuable lesson.   When I think of her  I  imagine her walking in the brook and  laughing. I can almost hear her voice  saying... " get in here." She reminds me that I have to take advantage of  the precious days of my life. Like my mother used to say... time waits for  no one.
 
Today I ask you to find a place to be a child again. Laugh and let go of the person you think that have to be... go play in the water! 
 
 
 
Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."

- Groucho Marx, was an American comedian and film star famed as a master of wit

No comments: