Friday, April 24, 2009

Maggie's Knitted Cats


I grew up on a farm and there were always a lot of cats everywhere. I remember exploring our big barn and finding them in special places. One time I opened a tiny door that had a purpose I am sure, but I never did figure it out.. anyway there lying snuggled up in the hay were four tiny kittens. I was really young and never had I seen such little things with their tiny eyes hardly opened. I ran back to the house to tell my mother and she told me to stay away from them because they had just been born and if I went near them, their mother would take them away and hide them elsewhere to protect them. And so I listened and never went back because I did not want to give the mother cat more work. I knew how hard my Mom worked, so I guess I did not want to make her carry all those kittens one at a time to some other mysterious place in the barn.


And so my love of cats has always been a part of my life. At one time I had five of them and would actually take them for walks up in the woods with my dog. As I climbed the hills, I would look back to see the five of them following each other in a straight row , one behind the other with their tails straight up in the air. The dog of course never followed the line and I am sure the cats thought she was a silly misbehaved creature.


Everyone has an opinion about cats... you either love them or you don`t. Many people have their own reasons for disliking them which includes..... they were sccratched by one when they were young or, or they leave their fur everywhere, or they scratch the furniture. I can understand their reasons and yet I feel sorry for them missing out on the chance to enjoy this wise and sensible pet who brings a special comfort to a home. They are also fun to watch because each has their own character. Yes they can be stubborn and yes they can even be unpredictable but they are worth the effort. And so because of my love for cats, I have decided to knit a few and add them to my Etsy shop.


I promise they will not scratch the furniture, won't shed and will have you purring as you share your space with them...


And remember animals have feeling too..... so pass on a little kindness to a these creatures that share our world. Thanks


3 comments:

Terry said...

Oh how sweet !
This is my first visit .
I will be back again soon .
Can't wait to go tell my gal friends about your precious creations.
Blessings.

Vintage Papers said...

your kitty is just darling! I love gray cats - I had one for 15 years! Your creations are amazing!

Crafty's Cuppa Coffee said...

Such a sweet kitty! How precious!

~Danae :)