Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Story to Tell


Since I can remember, books were my most precious possession and I enjoyed the many stories that they told. As a child, I would pretend that I was in school and many times I even allowed myself to be the teacher.
My father loved books as well and I can remember him laying back on the couch with a book in hand. There were always books on his bedside table and there was never a night that he did not read for awhile before shutting off the light. We had a back kitchen in our house and I would go out there and climb up on a trunk so that I could reach his book shelf. I would spend hours going over the pages of a variety of books.There were so many that I had wanted to read but time has a way of passing and our thoughts move on to other things.


I guess that is why I always wanted to be a writer and still to this day, I tell myself that is what I will do one day for a living. I also have to admit that I am a bookaholic. Right now I am in Montreal taking a course for museum marketing and throughout the day, I was thinking of what a waste of time it was to be sitting there listening to information that I basically already knew, for I could be sitting at Chapters Bookstore, one of my favourite places in the world.
A few years ago, I heard people saying that books would become a thing of the past because now people would be reading online. Well from the people I see when I go to Chapters, I know that books will always be a part of our lives. There is nothing like having a book to read and being able to close the book, knowing that you can return to its story when you get the chance. I am happy to say that I have passed on my love 0f books to my daughter as well and I know that throughout her life, they will inform and intertain her.

This fall I felt the need to write something and my thoughts brought to life the story of what happens when a town decides that they never want to see snow ever again. It ended up being rather amusing and sad ,with a little bit of wisdom mixed in with it. It turned out to be harder to do than I thought but I finally finished it and have put it for sale on my little shop on Etsy.
In time, I plan on writing a series of books from Maggie`s Raggedy Inn and selling them through my soon to be website as well as on my Etsy shop. Who knows, maybe one day I will earn my living this way.
Dreams are meant to take us where we want to go!!

No comments: