Friday, November 26, 2010

A Brother finds his way to Heaven's Hockey Team

Yesterday was a busy day for me trying to get as much done as possible. I seem to be always chasing time, trying to do this and that and a bit more of everything. Like everyone I have a story, like everyone my life seems full of things I wish I could have time for, people I want to spend more  time with, always , always more time.

Last night I came home from work and  had that telephone call that changes things in life. My brother had choked twice and now the family was called to the nursing home as he was in danger. For 11 years he has been battling a disease that left him fragile. His memory slowing disappearing until he ended up bedridden at 63 years old in a home for old people who are at the end of their road.  He could no longer even move in bed, could only drink from a straw and was forced to eat a few spoonfuls of mush and ice cream to survive on a daily basis.

 When I got to the hospital I already knew that he was on his way to heaven. This was the final scene and together as a family we would be there to help him make the transition to a softer, kinded place where Mommy and Daddy and my other two brothers Hurd ( died at 48) and Royden ( died at 44) would be there to meet him.

He  softly took his last breath with his three sisters, his wife and two sons at his bedside. In a moment of silence, he left us and his shell of a body that was so thin that it was only a reminder of the man that he had been.

 Today we mourn Blair, we cry and feel the emptiness, yet we are grateful that his earthly sufferings are over. We will go through the process of a funeral and will  then return to our lives to slowly absorb the loss and reflect on who we are in this world of wonder that is always changing.


Life is fragile, handle with care and be gentle  and forgiving of yourself. Do not let your hurts determine who you are, and do not allow others through their shortcomings destroy that amazing spirit of youth that you were born with.  Chase your dreams and let no one close the doors to them, no matter what hurdles you have to jump through to get to them.

 Blair I hope that there is a Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey team in heaven and  that you are given a brand new pair of skates when you join that team.

5 comments:

Amber Alvarez said...

Beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss, but cheered that he is forever done with the physical pain of this earthly life. My heart goes out to your family.

RosieAnne's Crafts said...

May God be with you and your family and support you as you deal with your brother's passing. Enjoy memories of good times shared.

Teresa said...

Prayers and blessings to you and your family. Your memories are beautifully written!

yoyocottage said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, my friend, and your family.

LeafandInk.com said...

Oh how I know your pain! My sweet sister died right before Thanksgiving just this last november. Nothing prepares us, nothing changes the way we feel, nothing. It is such a sad way to end. It is what I hate about life...death. My heart grieves for you & your family. I will pray for you. May your pain heal.
Blessings, Lisa~

We follow each other here...
http://twitter.com/ LeafandInk
http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeafandInk
http://LeafandInk.com